OhioHealth ALS Clinic
Count on convenience at the OhioHealth ALS Clinic
Traveling to multiple appointments on different weekdays isn't easy or preferable for anyone, let alone someone with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
At the OhioHealth ALS Clinic at Westerville Medical Campus, you or your family member have access to multiple specialists in one location. In fact, during a typical visit, you stay in one room and our team comes to you.
An excellent certified treatment center
OhioHealth provides patients and families with the highest level of ALS care through our multidisciplinary OhioHealth ALS Clinic. The ALS Association, along with the ALS United of Central and Southern Ohio, recognizes OhioHealth as the only ALS-certified treatment center of excellence in the region.
The multidisciplinary ALS Clinic also brings our ALS specialists together in one location to meet the needs of patients in one visit. The clinic’s team includes physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapists, as well as neurologists, social workers and registered nurses that proactively monitor and manage the symptoms of ALS patients.
About the OhioHealth ALS Clinic
Each visit to the OhioHealth ALS Clinic includes a thorough, multidisciplinary evaluation, during which patients and families can get answers to their questions all in one visit from our expert team:
- Fellowship-trained neurologist
- Occupational therapist
- Physical therapist
- Speech therapist
- Social worker
- Respiratory therapist
- Registered nurse or care services coordinator with the ALS United of Central and Southern Ohio
OhioHealth’s system of care
Connecting ALS patients with OhioHealth Home Care for medical equipment and in-home care. OhioHealth outpatient facilities for physical, occupational and speech therapy.
- What to Expect When You Visit
We spend time with our ALS patients during their clinic visits to understand their needs and to proactively monitor and manage their symptoms.
- Patients visit the ALS clinic every two to three months.
- Prior to a clinic visit, one of our ALS nurses will call you or your caregiver to pre-screen for your needs.
- During your clinic visit, you’ll stay in one exam room, where our specialists will come to you for consultation.
- We Coordinate All Aspects of ALS Patient Care
Once you visit the OhioHealth ALS Clinic, our neurologists will share your recommended care plan with your team of physicians to ensure your care is optimized and coordinated.
The ALS clinic staff work collaboratively to coordinate care not only for clinic days, but also time in between. For example, we help make arrangements for patients to meet with our clinic therapists outside of clinic. We serve as a bridge, when needed, to other medical experts, eliminating long wait periods for referrals. We also connect families with OhioHealth Home Care for at-home support and assistive medical equipment.
In between clinic visits, our care services coordinator will call you or your caregiver to continuously monitor your symptoms and needs. This helps stabilize and manage your symptoms early, supporting your quality of life. And, by sharing resources with the ALS United of Central and Southern Ohio, we provide you with a continuity of personalized care from nurses you see at the Association’s support groups and in our clinic.
What exceptional multidisciplinary design looks like
- Consults with all your specialists in one place in one visit.
- A care plan that’s individualized to your needs and condition.
- Clinic visits every two to three months.
- Pre-clinic screening phone calls, so we're ready on appointment day with the specialists and services you need.
- Direct access by phone or email to our physicians, therapists and clinic coordinator — no need to wait for clinic days to connect with us.
- Your questions answered in hours, not days.
- Shared resources with the ALS United of Central and Southern Ohio.