ALS Care at OhioHealth
Certified treatment tailored for your best care
OhioHealth is committed to providing patients and families the highest level of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) care through our multidisciplinary OhioHealth ALS Clinic. The ALS Association, along with the ALS Association Central and Southern Ohio Chapter, recognizes OhioHealth as the only ALS Certified Treatment Center of Excellence in the region.
Our ALS neurologists are experienced in distinguishing the subtle symptoms of early onset ALS from other, similar conditions. During your diagnostic meeting, you will receive:
- A full neurological exam, clinical evaluation and review of previous diagnostic testing.
- Determination for testing, such as EMG (an electrodiagnostic test that looks at muscle and nerve function), blood tests and MRIs, as needed.
Upon diagnosis, we explain the disease and work closely with patients and families to offer the highest level of care in our multidisciplinary OhioHealth ALS Clinic.
We offer and educate patients and families on treatment options for ALS and symptom management throughout your care journey. We provide:
- FDA-approved medications to slow the progression of the disease.
- Medications to alleviate symptoms.
- Referral to other specialists, such as pulmonary physicians or interventional radiologists, if needed.
- Education and training on medical equipment, including power wheelchairs and speech devices.
- Social work support for community resource utilization and planning.
An excellent certified treatment center
The ALS Association, along with the ALS Association Central & Southern Ohio Chapter, welcomed OhioHealth to the nonprofit organization’s Certified Treatment Center of Excellence Program. This establishes the OhioHealth ALS Clinic as meeting the highest levels of established national standards of care in the management of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
Since 1998, The ALS Association’s national network of Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence has provided evidence-based, multidisciplinary ALS care and services in a supportive atmosphere with an emphasis on hope and quality of life.