ALS Care at OhioHealth
A Certified Treatment Center of Excellence
OhioHealth is committed to providing patients and families the highest level of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) care through our multidisciplinary OhioHealth ALS Clinic. The ALS Association, along with the ALS Association Central & Southern Ohio Chapter, recognizes OhioHealth as the only ALS Certified Treatment Center of Excellence in the region.
Our ALS neurologists are experienced in distinguishing the subtle symptoms of early onset ALS from other, similar conditions. A diagnostic meeting includes:
- A full neurological exam, clinical evaluation and review of previous diagnostic testing
- Determination for testing, such as EMG (an electrodiagnostic test that looks at muscle and nerve function), blood tests and/or an MRI, as needed
Upon diagnosis, we explain the disease and work closely with patients and families to offer the highest level of care in our multidisciplinary OhioHealth ALS Clinic.
We offer and educate patients and families on treatment options for ALS and symptom management throughout the course of the disease. These options include:
- FDA approved medications to slow progression of the disease
- Medications to help alleviate symptoms
- Referral to other specialists, such as pulmonary physicians or interventional radiology, if needed
- Education and training on any needed medical equipment, including power wheelchairs and speech devices
- Social work support for community resource utilization and planning
ALS Certified Treatment Center of Excellence
The ALS Association, along with the ALS Association Central & Southern Ohio Chapter, welcomed OhioHealth to the nonprofit organization’s Certified Treatment Center of Excellence Program. This establishes the OhioHealth ALS Clinic as meeting the highest levels of established national standards of care in the management of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
Since 1998, The ALS Association’s national network of Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence has provided evidence-based, multidisciplinary ALS care and services in a supportive atmosphere with an emphasis on hope and quality of life.
OhioHealth successfully completed a comprehensive site review to be certified as a Center of Excellence. OhioHealth meets The ALS Association’s clinical care and treatment standards, which are based on the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Practice Parameters, and participates in ALS-related research.