Summer Research Externship Program
Build your knowledge, build your skills
Our externship program prepares first-year medical students with the knowledge, skills and competencies they need to advance in their medical profession.
About the Program
Under the guidance of faculty members from our OhioHealth teaching hospitals, selected medical students will have exposure to assist on new or in- progress quality improvement and research projects in a clinical environment at their designated location.
- Program Overview
The Summer Research Externship Program aims to prepare first-year medical students with the knowledge, skills, and competencies they need to advance in their medical profession.
- The program runs eight weeks from June to August.
- 20 positions are available for this program.
- Students are expected to work full time while enrolled in the program.
- All students are required to attend Research Didactics in their first week.
- Scholar Benefits
In addition to relationship building, externs will:
- Receive a weekly stipend while enrolled in the program.
- Obtain practical instruction in how to create, develop and present an excellent research project.
- Have an opportunity to present findings at Student Research Day.
- Have access to explore OhioHealth’s medical education program.
- Research Project Examples
- Caregiver Distress Screening Tool Validation Protocol for Palliative Care
- Retrospective Chart Review of Patients Intubated with either Ketamine or Etomidate in the Critical Care Setting
- Retrospective Chart Review of Patients Treated for Biliary Stone Disease
- Cost Analysis Study of Change in Recommendation for Management of PPROM Patients
- The Novel Approach to Assessing Sleep Quality, Architecture, Deprivation and Fatigue in Level 1 Trauma Healthcare Providers
From participation in introductory research lectures to preparation with conference presentations and manuscripts, medical students will gain invaluable knowledge that comes only from hands-on learning and mentorship. Upon completion of the program, students will have the opportunity to present their findings at Student Research Day.