Osteopathic Recognition at OhioHealth
We equip our resident and fellow physicians with training for holistic patient care
OhioHealth is dedicated to improving the lives of those we serve, developing the practice and skills of osteopathic medicine through our established training programs.
Well-rounded programs for osteopathic care leaders
Our osteopathic medicine training programs give resident and fellow physicians in-depth growth opportunities, not only to get the training you need, but to build a foundation of focused, compassionate, holistic patient care.
- Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP) Grand Rounds
Faculty, fellows and residents have the opportunity to share theories and techniques with learners across the continuum of osteopathic medical education. OPP Grand Rounds enhances education and knowledge in osteopathic medicine, increasing interest and improving patient care.
- Osteopathic Manipulation Medicine (OMM) for wellness service
Students, fellows and residents lead a free OMM clinic to improve wellness. Trainees can practice their OMM procedures under the guidance of osteopathic manipulation faculty.
- Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OUHCOM) table training
Faculty, fellows and residents teach and learn hands-on osteopathic manipulative therapy (OMT) to osteopathic medical students through weekly table training experiences.
- Resident clinical instructor status
This is an opportunity for fellows and residents to apply and become a clinical instructor with Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OUHCOM). Doing so builds the relationship with Ohio University and helps fellows and residents in professional development.
- Osteopathic medical training lab opportunities
Hands-on skill labs are offered throughout the academic year. They present a variety of topics in an evidenced-based format, reviewing pertinent osteopathic techniques applicable to clinical practice. Labs are specialty-specific and may include collaboration with other programs for combined events.
- Osteopathic journal reviews (OJR)
The goal of OJR is to evaluate current literature and determine the validity of the reported research as it applies to Osteopathic Principles and Practice. This may include demonstrations of osteopathic techniques discussed in the article with audience participation and practice.
- Osteopathic manipulative therapy course offerings
A variety of osteopathic manipulative therapy courses are offered throughout the calendar year through OhioHealth Continuing Medical Education or Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OUHCOM). These courses cover a multitude of topics, techniques and approaches to osteopathic care.
- Osteopathic skills assessments
All residents and fellows are evaluated in a variety of capacities which may include objective structural clinical exams (OSCE) mock licensure exams and osteopathic baseline skills assessments.
Our commitment to learning
OhioHealth is committed to enhancing the osteopathic learning environment through the continuum of medical education. In partnership with the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Osteopathic Heritage Foundations, OhioHealth pursues the enrichment of osteopathy through osteopathic recognition in its educational programs and through the osteopathic services provided to patients.
- Ohio University of Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OUHCOM) and OhioHealth work collaboratively at two of their three campuses located near OhioHealth educational sites in Athens and Dublin. Osteopathic medical students rotate through OhioHealth clinical sites with many OUHCOM faculty, teaching and collaborating in an osteopathic learning environment.
- Osteopathic Heritage Foundation (OHF) supports central and southeastern Ohio students as they pursue their education with OhioHealth.
- The OhioHealth Research Institute (OHRI) has research specialists and statisticians who are available to work with faculty, fellows and residents to meet osteopathic scholarly work requirements. A research specialist is assigned to each fellow and resident in training.
Osteopathic Residencies and Fellowships at OhioHealth
OhioHealth Doctors Hospital
Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Otolaryngology (and Facial Plastic Surgery), Orthopedic Surgery