Healthcare Services and Programs
Comprehensive Care for the Management of Limb Problems
Grant Medical Center is one of central Ohio’s only full-service limb reconstruction centers. As a comprehensive and integrated center, we offer treatment and reconstructive options for both upper and lower extremity conditions.
We have experts in:
- Foot and ankle – charcot disease, diabetic foot care, ankle and hindfoot arthritis, fusions and podiatry
- Hand and upper extremity surgery – acute injury, fractures, nerve repair and reconstruction
- Limb reconstruction – deformity correction, limb lengthening, osteotomies, fusions and osteomyelitis
- Orthopedic traumatology – acute fracture treatment, malunions, nonunions, infected fractures and problem fractures
- Plastic surgery – local, regional and free flaps, complex wound closure and facial reconstruction
- Vascular medicine – for the preoperative evaluation of healing potential
- Vascular surgery – vascular testing, endoscopic vascular reconstruction and open vascular reconstruction
- Wound care – hyperbaric chamber and other advanced services to enhance healing
The Most Advanced Treatment Available
We understand limb salvage issues can be complex. That’s why our patients benefit from advanced radiologic support for computed and plain tomography, MRI and nuclear imaging; general and specialized internal medicine for preoperative evaluation and ongoing management; infectious disease support for the treatment of osteomyelitis and other musculoskeletal specialties.
Highly Specialized Treatment, Right Here in Central Ohio
Limb reconstruction is a well-established orthopedic specialty in the United Kingdom and Europe, but finding specialized physicians in the United States is more difficult.
That’s what makes The Limb Reconstruction and Preservation Center at Grant so unique.
To be considered a limb reconstruction center, an institution must be a tertiary teaching hospital with the resources to provide the latest technology for evaluation and treatment. The physicians involved must be experienced, represent all of the specialties needed for the restoration of limb function and be able to solve problems ranging from the most basic to the most complex.
Limb Reconstruction Techniques
Our limb reconstruction surgeons are well versed in the bone fixation techniques used in orthopedic trauma surgery, such as intramedullary nailing and plating. Our surgeons also employ the use of fine wire fixation. Fine wire circular fixation is valuable for the following uses:
- Acute trauma, including peri-articular fractures
- Amputee evaluations
- Deformity correction
- Limb lengthening
- Treating bone defects or loss secondary to tumor, trauma or infection through distraction osteogenesis
- Treatment of malunions and nonunions
- Treatment of osteomyelitis
Limb Reconstruction and Preservation Location
|Limb Reconstruction and Preservation Center at Grant Medical Center|
111 South Grant Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43215