The Maternity Center at Doctors Hospital features unique labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum (LDRP) birthing suites. This means that every one of our rooms is fully equipped for each stage of your birth experience and you, and your family, remain in one room for your entire stay. Our experienced and supportive nursing staff will care for you every step of the way - because we know it's also the birth of a mom.
The Maternity Center at Doctors Hospital is a Level III Maternity Center, with board-certified obstetricians on-site around the clock. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Level III Nursery on the Doctors Hospital campus, owned and operated by Nationwide Children's Hospital, offers your baby the world-class neonatal expertise of Nationwide Children's Hospital and its specialists within the walls of Doctors Hospital.
In October, 2015, OhioHealth Doctors Hospital received the Baby-Friendly designation by the World Health Organization and UNICEF.
Hospitals and birthing centers that receive this prestigious, international award have passed a rigorous survey and been recognized as offering an optimal level of care for breastfeeding mothers and their babies. Learn more about breastfeeding services available at OhioHealth.
Arriving For Your Delivery
Doctors Hospital provides free, convenient parking adjacent to the main entrance for all of our patients and visitors. If you arrive in labor, please pull to the main entrance, and you will be assisted. Labor and Delivery is located on the second floor of the hospital. Take the elevators directly off the main entrance. If you arrive after 8:30 p.m. please enter the hospital through the Emergency Department and proceed to the second floor and go to labor and delivery to check-in. We encourage you to pre-register for your hospital stay to avoid registration paperwork when you arrive to deliver.
To pre-register for you hospital stay, stop by Doctors Hospital anytime during your pregnancy to pre-register. Enter the hospital through the front doors and ask for the Admitting Department. Please bring your insurance card and a photo ID.
To schedule a maternity tour of the Maternity Center at Doctors Hospital, please call (614) 4-HEALTH (443-2584).
Private Birthing Suites
Our private labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum (LDRP) suites include a private bathroom and shower and comfortable sleeping accommodations for your partner. Jacuzzi tubs, birthing balls and rocking chairs are also provided for your comfort during labor.
During labor and delivery, you are allowed two additional persons for support to be in the room with you. Family and friends are welcome to wait in the spacious Family Waiting Area just down the hall. Visitors can take turns visiting you in the labor and delivery room, provided there are no more than two people in the room with you at a time while you are in labor.
After delivery, all the state-of-the-art technology required for delivery is neatly tucked away and your suite converts to a comfortable and home-like suite for you and your family:
- Comfortable sleeping accommodations for you and your partner
- Private bathroom and shower
- Rocking chair
Meeting Your Baby
When your baby arrives:
- You may hold your baby moments after his or her birth.
- A nurse examines, weighs and measures your baby.
- Your baby is immediately returned to you to hold and feed.
- After about an hour, your baby will be given a complete assessment and a bath by your nurse.
We Support the Bond Between Mother and Baby
At the Maternity Center at Doctors Hospital, your baby is allowed to stay with you in your LDRP suite as much as possible. This enables you to begin building your bond with your baby immediately. We offer the following options to help you build that bond.
- Rooming In - Care for you and your baby is provided in your LDRP suite.
- Kangaroo Care - Your baby is placed directly on your bare chest for skin-to-skin contact.
- Newborn Feeding - We provide support whether you are breastfeeding, breast pumping or bottle feeding.
- Parental Coaching - We teach you about your newborn's behaviors and how to respond to their cues.
Your Baby's Safety
Doctors Hospital's state-of-the-art security system ensures your baby's safety. You will receive information explaining the system upon admission.
Visiting hours are 11 a.m. until 8:30 p.m.
Visitors may park in any area of the parking lot at no charge. The Information Desk will direct them to the mother's room, when they arrive.
Leaving the Hospital
Your physician will determine when it is safe for you and your baby to leave the hospital. Procedures and other tasks that need to be completed before you go home are listed below.
- Discharge teaching videos watched, including Shaken Baby Syndrome; review appropriate paperwork and turn in the Personal Commitment Statement to your nurse
- Any follow-up appointments required by either your doctor or your baby's doctor scheduled
- A final exam of you and your baby completed by the physician
- Birth Certificate Packet and Social Security Care registration completed
- All newborn screening tests completed
- Any vaccines or procedures for baby (circumcision) completed, and baby is resting comfortably after recovery period
- Baby pictures taken by hospital staff. You have the option to purchase photos and the option to consent to your baby's photo being posted on the Peekaboo Babies website. Please let your nurse know if your baby's photo has not been taken and you would like for it to be done.
- Child Safety Seat confirmed by your nurse. The seat must be brought to the room.
- Removal of baby's cord clamp and security device