Sports Nutrition Program
Make the most of the hard work you put into training: Combine it with a nutritional plan that takes your athletic performance to the next level.
Whether you're a competitive athlete or an active adult working to move and feel your best, you can't out-train a bad diet. OhioHealth's Sports Nutrition program helps athletes of all ages and skill levels use good nutrition to fuel performance and meet your goals.
Customized Nutrition Plans
Our sports nutritionist works with you to create a nutrition plan customized to you- your sport, your health and your training goals. Our sports nutritionist can help you when you want to:
- Improve your exercise or sports performance
- Manage weight gain and loss
- Increase stamina, endurance and strength
- Learn what foods to eat before, during and after exercise
- Choose the best fluids to drink before, during and after exercise or sport
- Know what food choices to make to help control food allergies, intolerance or gastrointestinal problems
- Get nutritional guidance for a medical condition such as, diabetes, cardiovascular issues, low iron, poor bone health
Expert Sports Nutrition Advice
Dawn Holmes, MS, RD, CSSD, LD, a registered and licensed sports medicine dietitian, runs the OhioHealth nutrition program. She develops sports nutrition strategies for athletes of all ages and skill levels, using the latest research and medically based information on nutrition for athletes.
As a sports dietitian, her work includes team talks at local high schools and colleges, as well as individual consults for student, recreational, endurance, and professional athletes. Dawn is also the sports dietitian for The OhioHealth Runner's Clinic and frequent speaker for running and triathlon groups in the Columbus area. She is a former collegiate track and cross country runner and continues her love of running today.
Starting with a sports nutrition consultation, Dawn will develop a comprehensive nutrition plan to help you meet your training, exercise and health goals. During your consultation Dawn will:
- Assess your energy and nutrient needs, including a review of your day-to-day eating
- Develop personalized meal patterns to match your training goals
- Troubleshoot concerns with performance, such as recurrent injuries, fatigue, hydration, or gastrointestinal discomfort
- Answer your questions about supplements, medical conditions, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fad diets, weight gain or loss and other nutrition related issues
Schedule a consultation with Dawn by calling (614) 566.2786