Neuro-Oncology at OhioHealth
We’re united in your fight against brain and spine cancer.
Our nationally known neurosurgeons and MD Anderson Cancer Network® certified cancer physicians are working together to treat patients with brain or spine cancer. At OhioHealth, we combine our breadth of experience — treating exceptionally high numbers of patients with neurological injuries and illnesses — with our depth of expertise in cancer care to treat patients with brain or spine tumors.
Expertise in Neurologic Cancer Care
Our team of physicians is specially trained in the best cancer programs in the country to recognize, differentiate and manage the many complexities inherent in treating primary and metastatic brain and spine tumors. This includes managing neurological complications that can arise from these conditions.
We’re a leader in the central Ohio region and recognized nationally for the diagnosis and surgical treatment of patients with benign or malignant brain and spine tumors. Our neuro-oncologists and neurosurgeons are known nationally and internationally.
When a tumor is malignant, our neuro-oncology team collaborates with OhioHealth radiation oncologists and medical oncologists to determine the best and most appropriate care for each patient.
MD Anderson Cancer Network®
OhioHealth is a certified member of MD Anderson Cancer Network® — a program of MD Anderson Cancer Center. This means you have access to nationally recognized cancer care protocols and best practices, while still receiving direct care from your local OhioHealth cancer physician.
Leading-Edge Treatment for Brain Tumors
OhioHealth was the first healthcare system in central Ohio to use the TomoTherapy® System and Trilogy Sterotactic System to treat cancerous brain tumors.
- THE TOMOTHERAPY SYSTEM
- enables physicians to precisely target brain tumors, while reducing radiation exposure to surrounding normal tissue.
- THE TRILOGY STEREOTACTIC SYSTEM
- combines brain tumor imaging and treatment technologies to enable the physician to deliver the widest range of external beam radiotherapies, including:
- 3D conformal radiotherapy
- IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy
Also, at OhioHealth Neuroscience Center, we have state-of the art operating rooms, including an intraoperative MRI, which enables our expert neurosurgeons to perform complex brain tumor surgeries.
We’re also advancing the treatment of brain tumors and lesions located in or very close to parts of the brain that control important functions with awake craniotomy. The procedure requires the presence of a neurologist and uses leading-edge brain mapping technology called Functional MRI (fMRI) to more completely resect a tumor by identifying responses or loss of neurological function while the patient is awake.
Surgical Expertise in Spine Tumors
OhioHealth has unique expertise in the surgical treatment of cancerous tumors in the spinal column, spinal cord or peripheral nerves. We use surgery to remove the tumor, reduce pain, re-stabilize the spine or improve quality of life by managing or preventing neurological deficits. Among the treatments we use are:
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant spine tumors
- Spinal stabilization for metastatic spine tumors to preserve neural function and improve quality of life
- Minimally invasive procedures to treat pain associated with pathologically collapsed vertebrae
- Multilevel anterior and/or posterior spinal tumor resection with spinal reconstruction