Healthcare Services and Programs
When you start your weight loss journey with OhioHealth Surgical Weight
Management, we'll be with you every step of the way, helping you
Call us at (614) 566.2700 to set up an
appointment and begin your journey to a healthy new
Meeting with the Insurance Coordinator
Soon after the bariatric seminar, you will have an individualized appointment with our insurance coordinator. You are encouraged to bring your spouse, family or friend with you. The insurance coordinator will help you thoroughly understand the OhioHealth Surgical Weight Management program and explain your health insurance benefits.
Your evaluation appointments will be made for you at this time.
Your Evaluation Appointments
Your evaluation appointments will include:
- Medical evaluation with our family medicine physician
- Psychological consultation
- Nutritional consultation with one of our specially trained dietitians
In order to make sure bariatric surgery is appropriate and safe for you, a full medical evaluation is completed.
- The physician will do a complete physical exam, review your health history and discuss your health status with you.
- You will also have blood drawn for blood tests, including a complete blood count, chemistry analysis, lipid profile and thyroid studies.
- A chest X-ray and an EKG are ordered.
If the physician feels you need additional diagnostic testing, these tests will be arranged for you at this time. These may include a cardiac work-up with a stress test and an echocardiogram. Occasionally, catheterization may be necessary. Sleep studies are often a part of this process as well, since obstructive sleep apnea is a frequent medical condition caused by severe obesity. Other studies are tailored to your needs and only those studies necessary for your safety are ordered.
You will have a consultation with a psychologist, who is a specialist in the evaluation of bariatric surgery patients. This will likely be required by your health insurance plan. During your consult, you will complete a few psychological surveys to help the psychologist know you better. If you and the psychologist decide further counseling is desired, you will be referred to another experienced psychologist.
One of our specially-trained dietitians will talk with you about your current eating habits and diet. The dietitian
- obtains a dietary history
- helps you plan your pre-operative weight loss
- helps you replace any vitamin deficiencies
- explains the post-operative nutrition plan
You will learn about the changes you will want to make before surgery and the changes to your eating habits, amounts, frequency and food choices you will make after surgery to help you feel well and be successful as you lose weight.
Beginning with this visit, and throughout your remaining pre-surgery nutrition visits, the dietitian will provide you with extensive training in nutrition. The dietitian will help assess your readiness to make significant dietary changes, and this consultation will help you and the surgical weight management team make a final decision about whether or not you are ready to proceed to surgery.
Pre-Surgery Appointment with Your Bariatric Surgeon
After all of your pre-operative work-up and education are completed, and your health insurance approval has been received, you will have your two-hour pre-surgery consultation with your bariatric surgeon and bariatric nurse. During this consult:
- Your surgical operation will be explained to you in detail.
- You will receive your specific instructions.
- You will have all your remaining questions answered.