Neurological Rehabilitation at OhioHealth
Neurological Rehabilitation Expertise — Inpatient and Outpatient
OhioHealth offers a full range of therapeutic services for neurologically impaired patients needing rehabilitative services. Whether in the hospital, at home, or as an outpatient patients receive continuity of care from the largest team of therapy experts in central Ohio.
OhioHealth’s outpatient rehabilitation services and therapeutic experts help patients with neurologic conditions recover mobility, independence and quality of life.
Our therapy team includes nationally-recognized experts and certified clinical specialists with advanced training in the treatment of neurologic conditions.
- PHYSICAL THERAPY
- We use advanced treatment techniques and equipment to address issues like spasticity, poor balance, weakness and foot-drop. Our clinical experts regularly treat vestibular and dizziness symptoms, as well as issues with incontinence. We also have therapists certified in LSVT BIG and PWR, treatment approaches for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
- Relearn daily tasks and develop new strategies to achieve personal goals. We address functional impairments in vision, cognition, mobility and coordination helping patients return to independence in self-care, homemaking, community tasks, return-to-work, school and driving.
- SPEECH THERAPY
- Overcome difficulty with speech and language, cognitive skills, swallowing, and mouth and facial weakness. We use specialized techniques, including electrical stimulation, to treat swallowing disorders. Our therapists are also certified in LSVT LOUD, a treatment approach for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- CARE MANAGEMENT
- Engage in your healthcare with the support of our care managers. Our team of nurses and social workers will help you with care needs, behavioral health concerns and connect you to OhioHealth and community resources. We partner with you to determine your care journey across many locations.
Specialty Rehabilitation Services
Personalized equipment and environmental modifications that help patients reclaim the activities of daily living.
- DRIVER REHABILITATION
- Get back behind the wheel with real-life scenarios in our safe clinic setting and the support of certified driver rehabilitation specialists.
- Assessment of the physical, mental and emotional aspects of driving performance
- Driving evaluation with a hospital-owned vehicle
- Recommendations for adaptive vehicle equipment
- Driver training
- Education on community mobility resources
- THE WHEELCHAIR SEATING AND POSITIONING CLINIC
- Explore your options for wheeled mobility and specialized seating. We perform a thorough physical evaluation, prescribe the support you need, and connect you with vendors who select and order your wheelchair or positioning devices. We can also assess your current equipment and help you complete the necessary documentation for modifications.
- ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY CLINIC
- Remain as independent as possible within your home and community. We help you select and customize adapted computer and digital technology devices that give you more freedom in your house and work environment.
- ALTERNATIVE AND AUGMENTATIVE COMMUNICATION
- Improve your ability to communicate with friends, family and co-workers. Our Speech-language pathologists help you identify the right augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) system. Options range from basic picture boards to high-tech communication devices, depending on the needs of each patient.
Some patients may need intensive therapy and education that can only be provided during a hospital stay. This is where OhioHealth Rehabilitation Hospital in Columbus comes into the picture.
With a focus on an intense, hands-on approach, patients have appointments with various rehabilitation specialists each day. The goal is to help patients get back to their lives as soon as possible.
In addition, OhioHealth Rehabilitation Hospital supports the management of the 14 bed inpatient rehabilitation unit at OhioHealth Mansfield Hospital. This ensures that inpatient rehabilitation care, regardless of where received, remains consistent for the patients we serve.
When they’re ready to leave the rehabilitation hospital, if they need continued rehabilitative care, they continue work with our therapists at our outpatient OhioHealth Neurological Rehabilitation centers. Services include:
- STROKE INPATIENT REHABILITATION SERVICES
- A rehabilitation program specifically designed for each patient; includes coordination of care that addresses changes in the physical, emotional, social and vocational status of each patient.
- BRAIN INJURY INPATIENT REHABILITATION SERVICES
- Individualized care designed to help each patient develop new ways to function so as to compensate for deficits; improve physical functions; and maximize responsiveness.
- SPINAL CORD INJURY INPATIENT REHABILITATION SERVICES
- Earliest possible start to rehabilitation care for spinal cord injury patients to optimize patient abilities and independence. Includes developing skills to perform daily activities, and using adaptive technologies to facilitate functions at home and at work.