Our participation in regional, national and international research networks helps our patients access colorectal cancer clinical trials.
Lung Cancer Program at OhioHealth
Successfully treating more patients with lung cancer
More men and women in the United States die of lung cancer than any other cancer. But more people diagnosed with lung cancer are living today — more than 400,000, according to the American Cancer Society.
Get in touch with a cancer specialist who can answer your questions and connect you to our cancer physicians, programs and services. Contact OhioHealth CancerCall Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM at (800) 752-9119.
Catching lung cancer when it’s most treatable
The OhioHealth lung cancer screening program uses a low-dose chest CT scan for early detection of lung cancer. The comprehensive, multidisciplinary screening program includes:
- Low-dose chest CT scan
- Dedicated radiologists
- Nurse navigation
- Patient education about screening and smoking cessation
- Tobacco-treatment specialists for patients ready to stop smoking
- Follow-up evaluations and consultations with referring physicians
"The healing was much faster"
Robotic minimally invasive surgery successfully treated Sharon’s lung cancer with a shorter recovery time.
Advanced treatments and technology
Our multidisciplinary team of lung cancer experts work together to provide comprehensive treatment options.
- Advanced imaging
Our advanced imaging technology determines the stage and genetic characteristics of your lung cancer. This enables our physicians to precisely locate and access a tumor, especially in difficult-to-reach areas. These may include:
- CAT scan (CT) guided biopsy
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (ENB OR SUPERDIMENSION™ NAVIGATION SYSTEM)
Whether we use surgery depends on the size and location of the tumor, as well as your overall health. Surgical procedures we offer for lung cancer include:
- Wedge resection removal
- Sleeve resection or sleeve lobectomy
- Minimally invasive treatment options
Robotic or robot-assisted surgery and video-assisted thoracic surgery enable your surgeon to perform some surgeries with more precision, flexibility and control. Advantages of these minimally invasive procedures usually include less pain, a shorter hospital stay and quicker recovery.
- Medical oncology
Our chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapies are highly individualized. Your medical oncologist, in collaboration with your lung cancer care team, will work together to determine and monitor the most effective chemotherapy treatment for your cancer. Our outpatient infusion centers offer a comfortable, convenient setting for treatment.
We also offer targeted therapies. These drug treatments block the growth and spread of cancer by interfering with specific molecules that are involved in the growth, progression and spread of cancer. This includes hormone therapy.
- Genetic sequencing
Testing cancer cells for mutations in genetic content can assist with selecting targeted drug therapy and understanding prognosis.
- Radiation therapy
- Brachytherapy places radioactive material inside the body to treat cancer.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) uses advanced technology to deliver precise radiation doses to a tumor — or specific areas within the tumor — that conform to its 3D shape.
- Stereotactic radiotherapy uses focused, high-dose radiation beams to target a well-defined tumor from different angles.
- 3D conformal radiation therapy (3D CRT) uses the results of imaging tests, such as MRI and special computers, to target the location of the tumor.
- Interventional radiology
One of the newest and most aggressive options in cancer treatment today, interventional radiology targets and treats cancers that cannot be treated surgically by using heating, cooling or microwave energy to kill tumor cells. Patients benefit from low-risk complications and, in some cases, return home the same day.
- Cancer rehabilitation
Our specialized therapists can develop an exercise program to improve joint mobility, restore flexibility, reduce pain and improve strength so you can safely return to your usual activities.