The McConnell Heart Health Center offers a challenging opportunity for clinical learning experiences for students pursuing a career in exercise science, cardiac rehabilitation and physical therapy.
Disciplines and requirements
Inquiries by individuals enrolled in degree-granting programs and preparing for the following disciplines are encouraged.
- Exercise science
Undergraduates must be presently enrolled in the final quarter/semester of their undergraduate program.
Graduate students must be enrolled in an accredited, degree-granting program of exercise science, physical education, health promotion, community health education or adult fitness/wellness or other related field.
- Physical therapist
Must be enrolled in an APTA accredited physical therapy program.
- Registered nurse
Must be a registered nurse holding current licensure in Ohio, presently enrolled in an accredited and approved program leading to a master's degree in nursing.
Note: McConnell Heart Health Center is not an American Dietetics Association accredited site and is not generally able to provide internships for dietitians. Some exceptions may be made depending on requirements of the university and availability of dietitians as coordinators/preceptors. Other requests may be referred to Nutrition Services at Riverside Methodist and Grant Hospitals.
Internship application deadlines
Fall: June 15
Winter: Sept. 15
Spring: Dec. 15
Summer: Feb. 15
Length of internship
Ten to fifteen weeks, 20 - 40 hours per week, unless discipline-specific needs require a special time frame.
Requirements for application
- Must be enrolled in an accredited, degree-granting program as noted above.
- Complete internship application.
- Submit current resume with three references.
- Submit two written letters of recommendation (one from a professor in your field of study).
- Letter stating goals for your internship experience and degree.
- Copy of current American Heart Association or Red Cross Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support card.
- Copy of liability insurance certificate.
- Housing and transportation are the responsibility of the student.
You can print and complete an internship application form. Send your completed application and other required materials to:
McConnell Heart Health Center
3773 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43214-3646