Our Team of Lactation Consultants
Compassionate Expertise for Moms
Our lactation (breastfeeding) consultants are healthcare professionals who have specialized training in breastfeeding. Providing compassionate support, instruction and guidance, they are Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants or candidates available to help you be successful.
Meet Our Breastfeeding Support Team
At OhioHealth, our women’s health specialists will help you and your newborn as you begin your exciting new journey together.
If you choose to breastfeed, our board-certified lactation consultants can help answer your questions and address any problems or concerns. Lactation consultants are healthcare professionals with highly specialized knowledge and expertise in breastfeeding and lactation (milk production). They provide breastfeeding education, guidance and support before you deliver, during your hospital stay and after you’ve taken your baby home.
OhioHealth lactation consultants have completed an extensive professional certification process plus ongoing education and training. To become certified, lactation consultants must have between 2,500 and 8,000 hours of experience assisting mothers with breastfeeding. They must also have at least 30 hours of continuing education in lactation within the past three years.
After being certified, lactation consultants are required to have 75 hours of continuing education every five years. They must be retested every 10 years.
Our compassionate experts will help you to develop all the skills you need for successful breastfeeding. You’ll receive personal and private assistance with any areas where you need support, instruction and guidance, including:
- Prenatal breast assessment – Before your baby arrives, our lactation consultants offer nipple and breast care instruction. They will address any concerns you may have.
- Attachment and positioning techniques – Learning how to help your baby properly attach to your breast may be the single most important breastfeeding instruction you need. We guide you through techniques for a successful breastfeeding experience.
- Milk quantity assessment – We assess the quantity of milk your baby is receiving by monitoring his or her weight. This helps to alleviate any concerns you may have about your baby's nourishment.
- Nipple soreness – We teach you proper attachment techniques that help alleviate nipple soreness and discomfort. We also discuss options available if soreness should occur.
- Breastfeeding observation – As you breastfeed your baby, your personal skilled consultant coaches you to improve upon techniques and avoid future issues.
Our classes give you the support and confidence you need for successful breastfeeding.View Classes