Healthcare Services and Programs
The OhioHealth Mothers' Milk Bank is a breast milk bank that provides human breast milk to those in need. Mothers unable to provide breast milk can nourish their babies with pasteurized donor milk.
Why Use a Breast Milk Bank or Donor Milk?
Infants benefit greatly from breast milk, especially those who are premature, ill, or have life-threatening conditions. Human milk is the ultimate source of nutrients and immune protection for infants. Babies benefit from the active growth hormones, developmental enzymes, infection fighting and immunological factors found in breast milk.
Research shows that breast milk helps pre-term infants:
- Reach full feeds sooner and need fewer IVs
- Mature their intestines faster
- Spend fewer days in the hospital
- Reduce risk of necrotizing enterocolitis (a bowel disease)
- Reduce risk of sepsis (blood infection) and fewer infections
- Experience long-term IQ advantages over formula-fed infants
- Be healthier as older children and adults
Quality and Safety is Ensured
The OhioHealth Mothers' Milk Bank relies on donations from healthy, lactating women who generously provide milk to help other babies. The donated milk is pasteurized, frozen and distributed by physician prescription.
View the step-by-step process to donate breast milk
To become a volunteer donor, mothers must take part in a stringent screening process to ensure the quality and safety of the milk.
- Participate in an initial phone screening to verify eligibility
- Receive and read the Mothers' Milk Bank information packet
- Participate in a medical and lifestyle history review
- Complete a medical release form signed by the donor and healthcare provider for both the donor and baby
- Consent to and receive a comprehensive blood test to screen for HIV, HTLV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphilis
Support OhioHealth Mothers' Milk Bank
For more information about becoming a milk donor, call the OhioHealth Mothers’ Milk Bank at (614) 566.0630 or send an email to email@example.com.
OhioHealth Mothers’ Milk Bank
Eastside Health Center
4850 E. Main St. Suite 140
Columbus, OH 43213
“When I realized that I was not going to produce enough milk to support my baby, I felt as though I was failing as a mother. It was a blessing when the Milk Bank came into my life. Some women had lost their babies, and donating milk helped them grieve knowing that they were helping another baby live. Some women simply had more milk than they needed and were just doing a good deed. Thanks to the Milk Bank, I have a healthy and active six month old…hopefully with my next pregnancy I can be the one helping others with my donated milk.”
Mother of Max