Neuropsychology at OhioHealth
Helping Patients and Families Understand and Cope with Brain Injury or Illness
Our neuropsychologists work to understand you – not just your neurological condition. Brain injuries and illnesses involve complexities that can be distressing to patients and their families. At OhioHealth, our neuropsychologists are specially trained to interpret patterns in brain behavior and how these patterns fit specific types of disease processes.
Our Neuropsychology Services
OhioHealth Neuropsychology provides comprehensive assessment and treatment for patients who are struggling with cognitive and emotional effects of neurological or psychiatric issues, such as:
Care Just for You
OhioHealth neuropsychologists work closely with referring primary care physicians, neurologists and behavioral health psychologists, providing diagnostic data and important evaluations that impact the diagnosis and treatment of our neurology patients. They also work with OhioHealth occupational, physical and speech therapists to treat our patients when needed. All throughout the way, we make sure care is individualized to you and your needs.
Neuropsychological assessments are comprehensive and typically take several hours. Our neuropsychologists will spend time with you in advance of your assessment to reassure you that you have control throughout the process and make sure you understand what happens during your assessment.
What Patients Can Expect
The amount of time an assessment takes depends on the nature of your symptoms and questions from the referring physician. Here is what you can expect:
- A clinical interview to talk about the types of functional problems you’re experiencing
- A conversation with family members, caregivers or significant others to understand how the functional problems are affecting your daily life
- Standardized pen-and-paper tests that look at: Intellectual functioning, memory and learning, motor and sensory skills, visual perception, receptive and expressive language abilities, ability to organize and plan, attention and concentration, emotional and behavioral functioning
- A review of test results with patient and family
- Evaluation and recommendations sent to the patient's referring physician