Telehealth Smartphone and Tablet Setup Instructions
Smartphones and tablets are great for telehealth video visits. These videos show you how to get your mobile device set up, and what to do when it’s time to start your appointment. Or follow the step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the page.
Special instructions for Behavioral Health group sessions are also available.
Prepare for Your Virtual Appointment
Follow along with our video tutorial that will walk you through installing the necessary apps, signing in to MyChart, and checking in for your appointment on your smartphone or tablet.
When You Are Ready to Start Your Virtual Appointment
Follow along with our video tutorial that will walk you through choosing a private space, signing in to your appointment using MyChart, and ending your visit on your smartphone or tablet.
- Prepare for your video appointment in MyChart
Make sure you have the username and password you use to download apps on your Apple or Android device. It will also be helpful to know how to switch between apps on your device so you can return to these instructions when needed.
You do not need to open the app or set up a Zoom account. As long as the Zoom app is on your device, you will be able to start video visits within the OhioHealth app. OhioHealth uses an encrypted, password-protected version of Zoom that keeps your telehealth appointment secure and private.
You can further prepare for your appointment by completing the eCheck-In process in MyChart.
- Download the OhioHealth app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Open the OhioHealth app and click Get Started. Accept the End User License Agreement by clicking the blue Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Click Next to step through a brief app tutorial.
- You will be prompted to log in to MyChart. Log in with your username and password.
- Once you have logged in to MyChart, select your telehealth appointment under the Upcoming Appointments tile on the home screen, or under Appointments in the MyChart menu.
- Select eCheck-In.
- Complete the FirstStep eCheck-In process. Make sure your personal information, insurance, medications, allergies and consent for treatment are verified and updated. Then check This Information is Correct at the bottom of each screen. You may have to scroll to see this option.
- Select Submit on the final screen and you will see a message that says, “Thanks for using FirstStep.” This signals that your eCheck-In is complete.
- Click Close in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Your setup is complete! You are now ready for your telehealth video appointment.
- When you are ready to start your video appointment in MyChart
- Open the OhioHealth app and log in to MyChart if prompted.
- Select your telehealth appointment under the Upcoming Appointments tile on the home screen, or under Appointments in the MyChart menu.
- Select Begin Visit at the bottom of the appointment screen.
- Your device will open Zoom.us in a web browser. If you have the Zoom app installed, a pop-up will appear that says Open this page in Zoom? Select Open. The Zoom app will then open to the appointment screen.
After accessing Zoom:
- If your doctor has not yet joined the appointment, your screen will say Waiting for the host to start this meeting at the top until they join. If the provider has already joined, you will automatically proceed to the next step.
- Once the provider has joined, select Join with Video.
- When prompted, connect audio by selecting Call using internet audio, or choose an option to use your phone for audio.
- When prompted, give the Zoom app permission to use your camera and microphone.
- You are now connected and can begin speaking with your provider.
- Tips for communicating with your provider during your video appointment
- Maintaining your privacy is important. For your appointment, please choose a well-lit space with a door that that can close, to avoid interruptions by other people and keep your conversation with your provider confidential.
- Sign into your telehealth appointment a few minutes before it is scheduled to start, so you are ready when your physician is available.
- When you begin your appointment, the video of your provider should fill your screen, and video of you will appear in a smaller window in the top.
- When you move your cursor over the video window, a menu of options will display, including:
- Mute and unmute
- Stop and start video
You will see other options like Invite, Manage Participants and Chat. You should not need to use these options as part of your telehealth appointment.
- You can end the video by hovering over your screen and clicking Leave Meeting in the bottom right, then Leave Meeting.
- Special Instructions: OhioHealth Behavioral Health Group Session
Behavioral Health Group Sessions follow the same instructions as a regular telehealth visit with two differences:
- You do not need to complete the eCheck-in process in MyChart. Your personal information, insurance, medications, allergies and consent for treatment will be collected on the phone when the group session is scheduled.
- You will receive a link to start the group session video visit in the Messages section of MyChart. Do not delete it. Return to this message a few minutes before your group session to click the link and start the video visit.