OhioHealth treats the most stroke patients in central Ohio, more than all the other area hospitals combined.
When you or a loved one experiences a stroke, you want the most experienced stroke care experts on your healthcare team. At OhioHealth, that's what you get.
WE provide stroke patients expertise unmatched by any other health system in the Columbus region.
- Riverside Methodist Hospital treats more stroke patients than any other hospital in the state of Ohio.
- OhioHealth has two certified stroke centers - Riverside Methodist, a Comprehensive Stroke Center - and Grant Medical Center, a Primary Stroke Center.
- At OhioHealth Grant Medical Center, stroke victims receive the expertise of a highly experienced, nationally recognized Level I Trauma Center verified by the American College of Surgeons since 1993, with the most recent verification in 2012. It is the busiest adult Level I Trauma Center in Ohio with a neuroscience team providing 24-hour care.
- Riverside Methodist and Grant are recipients of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines®- Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement award for excellence in stroke intervention and outcomes. They also received the Target: Stroke Honor Roll award for significantly improving stroke care.
- The OhioHealth Stroke Network is the first partnership for stroke treatment via telemedicine technology in Ohio.
- OhioHealth's Brain and Stroke Rehabilitation Center in Upper Arlington treats more stroke survivors than any outpatient therapy clinic in central Ohio.
Our treatment approach is one of coordinated care by specially trained stroke intervention teams. It begins the moment a stroke patient arrives at an OhioHealth facility or an OhioHealth Stroke Network facility and continues throughout treatment:
- Providing exemplary care and service to patients
- Providing an integrated, well coordinated continuum of care that is unsurpassed in the region
- Providing regional and national leadership for advancing new technology and patient care services.
Specialized, Comprehensive Stroke Care
Riverside Methodist Hospital and Grant Medical Center are certified by The Joint Commission as Primary Stroke Centers.
Our physicians are often the first in the world to research new stroke treatments through clinical trials, allowing our patients access to the most leading-edge stroke treatments and prevention techniques available.
- OhioHealth Riverside Methodist Hospital was the first in Ohio and the second in the United States to provide stroke treatment using the FDA-approved, new, clot retrieval Solitaire FR (flow restoration) Revascularization Device. Riverside Methodist participated in the SWIFT (Solitaire FR with the Intention for Thrombectomy) clinical trial that lead to the approval of this advanced stroke treatment device.
Our leading-edge stroke treatments, often used in combination, include:
- tPA (Tissue Plasminogen Activator)
- The MERCI Retrieval System®
- Penumbra Stroke System
- Solitaire Flow Restoration (FR)
The OhioHealth Stroke Network
Our stroke network uses advanced telemedicine to connect emergency teams at community hospitals to specialists in critical care and stroke at our OhioHealth facilities in Columbus, Ohio.
Because of the OhioHealth Stroke Network, stroke patients in outlying areas get direct and complete access to advanced technology and critical care therapies unmatched by any other hospital network in central Ohio. Learn how the OhioHealth Stroke Network works.
State-of-the-Art Stroke Rehabilitation
OhioHealth's Brain and Stroke Rehabilitation Center in Upper Arlington treats more stroke survivors than any outpatient therapy clinic in central Ohio.
This state-of-the-art center features functional treatment environments for patients, including a model home, garage, work bench, restaurant booth and driving simulator.
In addition, the OhioHealth Rehabilitation Hospital is an inpatient unit that accepts patients who require intensive therapy from our expert rehabilitation clinicians. Our programs are specialized in trauma, stroke, neurology, orthopedics and specialty rehabilitation.