Multiple Sclerosis Treatments and Technologies
Advanced Options for Multiple Sclerosis Patients
At OhioHealth, our multiple sclerosis (MS) specialists are using the latest treatments and technologies to diagnose, monitor and treat multiple sclerosis and manage its symptoms.
Neuro-Diagnostics and MS Monitoring
Our MS neurologists are experts in distinguishing the subtle symptoms of early onset multiple sclerosis from other, similar conditions. The neuro-diagnostics we use include:
3T MRI, which offers higher signal-to-noise ratio, faster scanning times and better visualization of lesions
Cognitive screening, using validated patient-reported outcome measures
Semi-automated computer testing for evaluating verbal memory
MS Treatment and Symptom Management
Keeping multiple sclerosis symptoms under control is an ongoing priority in the treatment of MS and typically includes:
- DISEASE-MODIFYING THERAPIES
- To stop or slow the progression of the disease — oral, injectable and intravenous
- INFUSION TREATMENTS
- to relieve acute symptoms, such as fatigue, balance and/or bladder problems during an MS relapse or flare-up, including:
- Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy (IVIG), made from donated blood products, to boost the immune system, improve function and possibly delay onset of another flare-up of symptoms
- Intravenous steroids to treat inflammation
- Plasmapheresis (plasma exchange) in which blood is removed from your body and blood cells and plasma are separated. Your blood cells are then mixed with a new solution and returned to your body. This option is used for sudden, severe MS relapses that don’t respond to steroids
- MEDICATIONS FOR MANAGING SYMPTOMS OF MS
- Including intrathecal baclofen and Botox® injections for patients with spasticity (muscle stiffness and tightness). We also offer medications for urinary tract issues, fatigue and balance issues.
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- We treat a high volume of MS patients in central Ohio, enabling us to actively participate in numerous MS clinical trials. At our MS Clinic, our clinical trials coordinator is available onsite to explain to you and your family members what’s involved and how to get started.
- SUPPLEMENTAL AND NON-MEDICATION ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES
- from therapists and wellness experts who have expertise in MS and its associated symptoms. These include:
- MS physical therapy, customized to you and your needs
- Pelvic floor physical therapy for bladder control and sexual function
- Vestibular physical therapy for vertigo and dizziness
- Speech therapy
- Wellness program
OhioHealth MS Infusion
Nationally, OhioHealth is a leader in providing the latest MS infusions. OhioHealth makes MS infusion therapies accessible throughout central Ohio.
Our infusion centers offer patients infusion and onsite pharmaceutical services for neurological conditions including:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stiff person syndrome (SPS)
- Myasthenia gravis
- Neuromyelitis optica (NMO)
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy (CIDP)
MS Clinical Trials
You have access to numerous Multiple Sclerosis clinical trials at OhioHealth. Call us or ask our onsite clinical trials coordinator about them during your next appointment at our MS Clinic.