For Providers and Trainers
Continuing Education and Recertification Course Information
OhioHealth Delay the Disease is able to reach people with Parkinson’s disease thanks to healthcare professionals, atletic trainers and personal trainers that get trained to lead classes at senior living communities, the YMCA, churches and more locations across the nation.
Continuing Education for Healthcare Professionals, Athletic Trainers and Personal Trainers
Healthcare professionals and trainers interested in becoming certified to teach Delay the Disease programming, can attend a continuing education course provided by Delay the Disease. Continuing education credits are approved for PT through the Ohio Board (OPTA) and for OT/RN/trainers through the Ohio Board (OTPTAT). Currently this course is offered in Columbus, Ohio.
The course is entitled “Evidenced-Based Concepts for Planning and Implementing a Parkinson’s-Specific Community Exercise Class Using the Delay the Disease Parkinson’s Fitness Program”.
The training provides evidenced-based updates on the effects of exercise and physical therapy on the symptomatic management of Parkinson’s disease (PD). Each participant will be able to integrate this knowledge, along with teaching techniques to create and lead a comprehensive, community-based, PD-specific exercise program based on the Delay the Disease fitness agenda.
- The participants will select appropriate assessment tools — outcome measures for the evaluation of people living with PD.
- They will understand the importance of motivation, enthusiasm, optimism and methods of teaching.
- These methods will be used to design a fitness agenda to treat a specific symptom related to PD.
- Ultimately, each participant will become certified to teach Delay the Disease classes, acquiring knowledge to successfully create and implement an interdisciplinary exercise and wellness program for people with PD.
If you are interested in attending our Parkinson's Continuing Education course and potentially teaching a Delay the Disease class at some time, the professional requirements are that you must be one of the following:
- PT/ PTA
- Athletic trainer, personal trainer or group exercise instructor with one of these (or similar) certifications: ACE, ACSM, NSCA, ISSA
- Exercise physiologist
CE hours are available for PT, OT, RN, PTA, COTA and athletic trainers.
- INSTRUCTORS AND COURSE PRICING
Instructors for the courses are:
- Leslie Wolf, PT, DPT, NCS
Course pricing is below. Cost includes Delay the Disease DVD and handbook.
- OhioHealth Associates: $175
- Non-Associate Early Bird Pricing: $295
- Non-Associate Pricing: $345
- 2021 CE Course Offerings
No CE courses are currently scheduled. Please check back for updates or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Delay the Disease Recertification Courses
The Delay the Disease (DTD) Recertification Course is now available online. This course is designed for the healthcare professional and fitness trainers who have taken the original Delay the Disease 10 hour CE course more than two years ago. The original CE course must be recertified every two years. The fee is $50 for professionals who are not OhioHealth employees; there is no charge if you are employed at OhioHealth. Credit hours for this course are available from the boards in the state of Ohio for PT, OT, and Athletic Trainers. You will spend approximately three hours completing this course.
If your original certificate has already expired, please follow the User Guide (PDF) to log in and access this recertification course.