Prostate Cancer Treatments and Technologies
We are on the forefront of prostate cancer treatment and technology advancements.
At OhioHealth, we offer comprehensive treatment options and develop a care plan that’s best for you and most effective in treating your type of prostate cancer.
Comprehensive Prostate Cancer Treatments and Technology
Our expert prostate surgeons collaborate with other specialty areas to precisely determine your best treatment approach. Our surgical capabilities include:
- Open Prostatectomy
- Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy
- Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy
- Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy (RALP) — Robotic surgery, or robot-assisted surgery, enables your surgeon to perform some surgeries with more precision, flexibility and control. Advantages of these minimally invasive procedures usually include less pain, a shorter hospital stay and quicker recovery.
Our chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapies are highly individualized. Your medical oncologist, in collaboration with your prostate cancer care team, will work together to determine and monitor the most effective chemotherapy treatment for your cancer. Our outpatient infusion centers offer a comfortable, convenient setting for treatment.
We also offer targeted therapies. These drug treatments block the growth and spread of cancer by interfering with specific molecules that are involved in the growth, progression and spread of cancer. This includes hormone therapy.
Radiation oncology is unique to each individual and directed by your radiation oncologist. It can also be used for cancer that returns in the area where the prostate was surgically removed or to simply relieve symptoms in advanced prostate cancer. There are two main types of radiation commonly used:
- External beam radiation therapy (EBRT)
- Brachytherapy/seed implantation
All OhioHealth radiation oncology locations have real-time access to your plan of care, so you can schedule your appointments at whatever location best fits your availability.
One of the newest and most aggressive options in cancer treatment today, interventional radiology targets and treats cancers that cannot be treated surgically by using heating, cooling or microwave energy to kill tumor cells. Patients benefit from low-risk complications and, in some cases, return home the same day.
Prostate Cancer Rehabilitation
Specialized therapists develop an exercise program with the goals of improving joint mobility, restoring flexibility, urinary control and sexual function as well as reducing pain and improving strength for a safe return to your usual activities
OhioHealth Infusion Centers offer a variety of outpatient services close to home in a comfortable and patient-centered environment. Here, our highly qualified staff will provide care and support throughout your course of breast cancer treatment. Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Chemotherapy and biotherapy
- Transfusion therapy
- Intravenous antibiotics
- Intravenous hydration and electrolyte replacement
- Iron infusions
- Subcutaneous and intramuscular injections (such as Epogen® and Neulasta®)
- Intravenous gamma globulins
- Therapeutic phlebotomy
- Central venous catheter including implanted ports
- Lab draws and heparinization
- PICC line placement
- Individualized patient education
- Complementary therapies at some locations, such as massage, art therapy, acupuncture and nutrition counseling
- Oncology patient navigation
- Pharmacist consultation