Healthcare Services and Programs
Our care is individualized, compassionate and understanding.
Our program provides cognitive assessments for patients who have known or suspected brain injury or illness. These assessments assist in the diagnosis and treatment of functional difficulties and help determine a patient's cognitive status.
Our Approach to Patient Care
At OhioHealth, we recognize brain injuries and illnesses involve complexities that can be distressing to patients and their family members. Our neuropsychologists are specially trained in working with these complexities.
Their unique expertise interprets patterns in brain behavior relationships that fit types of disease processes and can help not only with diagnosis and treatment but also provide guidance for patients on how to best manage their strengths and weaknesses.
Our care is individualized, compassionate and understanding. We spend time with our patients in advance of the testing to make sure they know they have control over what takes place during the assessment.
OhioHealth neuropsychologists work closely with referring primary care physicians, neurologists and behavioral health psychologists, providing diagnostic data and important evaluations that impact the diagnosis and treatment of OhioHealth neurology patients.
In addition, when needed, our team of experts consults with OhioHealth occupational, physical and speech therapists in an integrated approach to patient treatment.
Our comprehensive assessments typically are completed in several hours. The amount of time it takes depends on the nature of the symptoms to be evaluated and on the questions of the referring physician.
Patients can expect the following:
- A clinical interview to talk about the types of functional problems being experienced
- A conversation with family members, caretakers or significant others to understand how the functional problems are affecting the patient's daily life
- Standardized pen-and-paper tests that look at:
- Intellectual functioning
- Memory and learning
- Motor and sensory skills
- Visual perception
- Receptive and expressive language abilities
- Ability to organize and plan
- Attention and concentration
- Emotional and behavioral functioning
- A review of test results with patient and family
- Evaluation and recommendations sent to the patient's referring physician
Neuropsychology Services at OhioHealth
OhioHealth Neuropsychology provides comprehensive assessment and treatment for the cognitive and emotional effects of many neurologic conditions and psychiatric issues, including:
For Referring Physicians
When to Make a Referral to OhioHealth
You want diagnostic testing and evaluation for:
- Patients displaying problems with memory, problem solving,
judgment, attention and other thinking skills
- Patients recovering from a concussion, brain injury or stroke
and displaying behavioral and cognitive problems or mood
- Patients displaying early onset signs of dementia
To refer a patient, please call (614) 533.5500.