Tools and Resources

Poinsettia plants: Are they poisonous?

Are poinsettia plants poisonous?

Contrary to popular belief, poinsettia plants are not poisonous.

Contact with the sap of a poinsettia plant may cause a mild, itchy rash. If this happens, wash the affected area with soap and water and apply a cool compress to ease itching.

Eating the leaves or stems of a poinsettia plant may cause a mild stomachache, vomiting or diarrhea but severe signs and symptoms are unlikely. If you find a child eating a poinsettia plant, clear his or her mouth and move the plant out of reach.

Of course, some people are more sensitive to poinsettia plants than are others. Reactions to poinsettia plants are more common among people who have latex allergies, for example, since latex and poinsettia plants share several proteins. In case of a severe reaction, seek prompt medical attention.

Updated: 11/24/2010

© 1998-2014 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "EmbodyHealth," "Enhance your life," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

Legal restrictions and terms of use applicable to content provided to this site by MayoClinic.com/Mayo Clinic Health Information. Use thereof signifies your agreement to these terms of use.