Applicant Eligibility Policy
Statement of Purpose: To outline the Department of Education's policy governing the selection of qualified applicants to O'Bleness Hospital's accredited residency programs.
Qualifications for Graduates of U.S. and Canadian medical schools:
- The applicant must have graduated from a medical school whose programs are accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- The applicant must provide a Dean's Letter, two or more strong letters of recommendation, medical school transcripts, and passing scores from Part I, USMLE or COMLEX (Applicants who pass on first attempt are given preference).
- Recent graduates and/or those individuals who have graduated within the past two academic years are given preference.
- The applicant must be willing to appear for a personal interview.
- All senior medical students applying for residency must participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Applicants who are graduates of international medical schools:
- The applicant must meet criterions #2, #3, and #4 above. The quality and ranking of the candidate's international medical school or Fifth Pathway program is taken into consideration using the Gourman Report: a rating of graduate and professional programs in American and International universities as a guide.
- The applicant must provide a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state of Ohio. The Medical Education Department prefers that the applicant provide proof of permanent resident status or J-1 Visa status if a non-U.S. citizen. Medical Education will support the applicant on their J-1 Visa if accepted into a Riverside Methodist Hospital residency program.
- A minimum of one year clinical service in a U.S. hospital is highly recommended.
Family Medicine applicants should submit their application materials through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
ONMM3 applicants should download and complete the printable application.
Diabetes Fellowship applicants should download and complete the printable application.
As an equal opportunity employer, O'Bleness Hospital fully supports all state and federal regulations and does not discriminate against applicants because of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or veteran status (See OhioHealth Policy and Procedure HR1.00 Equal Employment Opportunity).