July Tip and Recipe from Chef Mike McCauley
When storing lettuce place a paper on top of the lettuce before wrapping the container with plastic wrap. This will absorb the excess moisture and keep the lettuce from wilting.
Roasted Citrus and Avocado Salad
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 blood or Valencia orange, sliced 1/8" thick, seeds removed
- 1 Meyer or regular lemon, sliced 1/8" thick, seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Meyer or regular lemon juice
- 1 bunch watercress or arugula, thick stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 avocado, cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 425°. Toss orange and lemon slices with 1 tablespoon oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast citrus, tossing occasionally, until lightly charred in spots and starting to caramelize, 10-15 minutes. This makes the citrus flavor more complex. Let cool.
Meanwhile, combine onion and lemon juice in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper and let sit 5 minutes (onion will soften a bit and get slightly sweeter and less harsh).
Add roasted citrus to bowl with onion along with arugula and mint. Drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons oil over; season with salt and pepper and toss everything to combine and coat.
Add avocado and very gently toss until lightly dressed (you don't want to crush the avocado).
Calories 260; Fat 22g; Fiber 6g