Healthcare Services and Programs
The right medical support team is essential when you have an elevated risk of complications during pregnancy. OhioHealth has a highly trained team of ultrasound technologists, nurse clinicians, genetic counselors and Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists with advanced training in high risk pregnancies. Our expertise ensures the healthiest possible outcomes for you and your baby.
What is a High Risk Pregnancy?
Whether or not a pregnancy is considered high risk is determined by the presence of conditions that affect the mother (maternal conditions), the fetus (fetal conditions) or both. Maternal conditions may be pregnancy-related or fetal conditions may be discovered through abnormal ultrasound findings. The level of risk involved in each pregnancy is different, depending on the type and number of high risk conditions present.
Examples of maternal conditions in high risk pregnancy include:
- Multiple gestation (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Chronic or new-onset of high blood pressure
- Preterm labor
- History of difficult pregnancies
Examples of fetal conditions in high risk pregnancy include:
- Birth defects
- Growth abnormalities
- Fluid abnormalities
How We Can Help
Our expert team provides personalized care of pregnancy-related challenges. Our services include advanced screenings, testing and private consultations to help you understand and proactively manage your risks.
If a fetal anomaly is diagnosed, our Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists work closely with the specialists at Nationwide Children's Hospital to offer all available options. A program coordinator will help link you with the integrated programs available at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
OhioHealth Maternal-Fetal Medicine services include:
- Advanced diagnostics utilizing state-of-the-art 3-D/4-D ultrasound technology
- Amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling (CVS)
- Antepartum fetal testing
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling (PUBS) and fetal blood transfusions
- Fetal echocardiography with on-site pediatric cardiologist
- Ultra-Screen®, including Instant Risk Assessment
- Genetic and pre-pregnancy counseling
- Medical consultations and obstetric co-management
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists available 24 hours a day for consultation or maternal transport services
There is more information about ultrasound examinations, prenatal testing and genetic and pre-pregnancy counseling at OhioHealth Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
OhioHealth Patient & Visitor Guide
Tour Our Maternity Centers