Contact: Jennifer Gresham, RN
Telephone: (419) 675-8334
Hours: Thursday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Additional hours by appointment)
Heart failure is a condition in which the heart can't pump enough blood throughout the body. When the heart doesn't pump well, fluid may accumulate in the body and lung tissue. CHF varies in terms of severity which can be explained by your physician.
The Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Clinic offers educational classes to anyone, no matter what age, who has been diagnosed with CHF. These classes provide patients information to play an active part in their self-care and treatment decisions with the help of a healthcare team to optimize their quality of life. Families are encouraged to participate.
Our classes include:
- One-on-one counseling learning early symptoms, such as weight gain, shortness of breath and excessive tiredness, and how to control CHF with the use of medications, diet and exercise
- Medication education and management with our nurses and Pharmacists
- Energy conservation and exercise guidelines with one of our physical therapists from Hardin Rehabilitation and Wellness Center
- Smoking cessation classes in our Cardiopulmonary Department
- Free in-home visit with Lincare to help with home-care needs
- Assessment of sleep disorders with a referral to our Sleep Lab if indicated
- Dietary counseling and meal planning with the HMH dietitian
To register for Hardin CHF education classes, you need a physician’s referral, and the staff will contact you for an appointment. The clinic offers IV medication management on an outpatient basis to those with more severe symptoms. Ask your physician what would work best for you.