At the Ann Burba Crane Center for Women and Babies maternity center at Grant, you'll find private rooms, a wonderful staff and the latest in labor and delivery technology for you and your little one. You'll experience plenty of one-on-one attention and see first-class doctors giving old-fashioned hugs - because everything we do is centered around the family. We support you every step of the way - because we know it's also the birth of a mom.
The Ann Burba Crane Center is a Level III Maternity Center, with board-certified obstetricians and neonatologists on-site around the clock. Our Level III Neonatal Special Care Unit, managed on-site by Nationwide Children's Hospital specialists, offers your baby the neonatal expertise of Nationwide Children's Hospital within the walls of Grant.
Arriving for Your Delivery
Relax. Take a deep breath. Have a baby. At the place where your nervousness will fade away. (At least a little.) We encourage you to pre-register for your stay in the maternity center to avoid registration paperwork when you arrive to deliver. Free valet parking service is available at the main entrance to the hospital on the corner of Grant Avenue and State Street between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. If you arrive after hours, just push the intercom button next to the door and someone will be right with you to provide assistance. When you arrive, take the main elevators directly to Labor and Delivery, Delivery Registration and Triage on the third floor. You will give your car keys to the Labor and Delivery staff and they will obtain a valet ticket for you the next morning.
To pre-register for your stay at our maternity center, please call the Grant registration department at (614) 566.9311. You will be mailed a form that you can complete ahead of time and mail back to us.
To schedule a maternity tour of the Ann Burba Crane Center, please call (614) 4-HEALTH (443-2584).
Private Birthing Suites
Comfort. That's what you get when you walk into the Ann Burba Crane Center. Each labor and delivery suite within the maternity center has its own private bathroom and shower and comfortable sleeping accommodations for your partner. We offer many natural birthing options if you choose, including labor pools, birthing balls and massage therapy.
During labor and delivery, you are allowed two additional persons for support to be in the room with you. Family and friends are welcome to wait in the spacious Family Waiting Area just down the hall. Visitors can take turns visiting you in the labor and delivery room, provided there are no more than three people in the room with you at a time while you are in labor.
After delivery, you will be moved to a private post-delivery room on the fourth floor of the Center. Each room is designed for your comfort and includes:
- Comfortable sleeping accommodations for you and your partner
- Private bathroom and shower
- Adjustable lighting
- Rocking chair
- Television with VCR/DVD
Meeting Your Baby
When your baby arrives:
- You may hold your baby moments after his or her birth.
- A nurse examines, weighs and measures your baby.
- Your baby is immediately returned to you to hold and feed.
- While you are moved to your post-partum room, your baby will have a complete assessment and bath.
We Support the Bond Between Mother and Baby
Grant was on the forefront of instant mother/baby bonding through Kangaroo Care and continues to support the connections between mom and baby. We offer the following options to help you build that bond.
- Rooming In - Care for you and your baby is provided in your post-delivery room.
- Kangaroo Care - Your baby is placed directly on your bare chest for skin-to-skin contact.
- Newborn Feeding - We provide support whether you are breastfeeding, breast pumping or bottle feeding.
- Parental Coaching - We teach you about your newborn's behaviors and how to respond to their cues.
Your Baby's Safety
Grant's state-of-the-art security system ensures your baby's safety. You will receive information explaining the system upon admission.
Visiting hours are:
- 10 a.m. until 8:30 p.m.
- Immediate family may visit at any time.
Parking for visitors is available in any of the parking garages around Grant, as well as valet parking available at the main entrance. Visitors may ask for directions to your room at the Information Desk.
Leaving the Hospital
Your physician will determine when it is safe for you and your baby to leave the hospital. Procedures and other tasks that need to be completed before you go home are listed below.
- Going-home instructions and baby care tips from our Inpatient Discharge Class, provided by our nurses, completed
- Any follow-up appointments required by either your doctor or your baby's doctor scheduled
- A final exam of you and your baby completed by the physician
- Birth Certificate Packet and Social Security Care registration completed
- All newborn screening tests completed
- Any vaccines or procedures for baby (circumcision) completed, and baby is resting comfortably after recovery period
- Baby pictures taken by hospital staff. You have the option to purchase photos and the option to consent to your baby's photo being posted on the Peekaboo Babies website. Please let your nurse know if your baby's photo has not been taken and you would like for it to be done.
- Child Safety Seat confirmed by your nurse. The seat must be brought to the room.
- Removal of baby's cord clamp and security device